There have been a number of significant changes to Family Law over the last few years. Those changes include:
- Most Australian states have referred their powers to make laws regarding heterosexual couples and same sex couples who live together to the Federal Government. New Federal Law governing couples who came into effect in March 2009.
- The law now permits de facto couples to enter into binding and binding agreements.
- Judges must now consider when determining what care arrangements to make for the children of and couples.
- The law now permits the superannuation entitlements of a spouse who is to be split and the split portion to be transferred to the other spouse.
- The ability of the courts to make orders against third parties in matters has been simplified and expanded.
- Laws dealing with the interaction of the matters involving and insolvency issues came into effect in 2006.
- Changes to the way is calculated commenced in mid 2006. Further significant changes to the formula were made in mid 2008.
Westminster Family Lawyers, Melbourne are specialists in all family law matters. Speak to one of our Accredited Family Law Specialists today.